Monday, April 9, 2007

In God We Rock! Christian Metal from the 80s!

Ok, so Umbrella Records and I have been friends for 24 years and our musical tastes are constantly evolving and that's ok. However, I am still puzzled (and sometimes haunted) by our addiction to GOD Metal between the years of 1985-1990. If there was a Christian Metal band on the scene, we were all over it! Here's a list of some of them: Stryper, Bloodgood, Barren Cross, Stryken, Holy Right, Saint, One Bad Pig, The Rez Band, Paradox, and Petra. Ok, some of these band are laughable, but dog-gone-it I still defend my decision to listen to Petra, Saint, and Stryper. These were the better quality Christian Metal bands. I liked the fact that Petra could make elements of metal and pop work together. I liked the fact that Saint, while singing about the uplifting effects of religion, had a really dark sound and lots of dark imagery in their lyrics. And Styper, my goodness, the boys could rock. You cannot mess with their 2nd album, 'Soldiers Under Command'! I still defend it to this day. My GOD Metal phase quickly disintegrated with the arrival of Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, and Soundgarden in the early 90s and I never looked back. Google these Christian Metal bands sometimes and you will be surprised at the results. I'd like to hear from anyone out there who listened to God Metal back in the day. What bands were you into? Do you still listen to them? How do you feel about them now?
Powered by WebRing.

The Umbrella Of Retro Goodness!

The Umbrella Of Retro Goodness!
We Have FREE MEDIA MAIL SHIPPING On Books, Records, Comic Books, Magazines, Coloring Books, DVD'S & VHS
Google